Thursday, February 27, 2014

Puppy socialization

There has been rumors floating that I might get a puppy playmate. Mom is still really worried because I am not a sharing kind of bulldog. You go near my Mom and I get a bit upset. However, a puppy may come here soon rather than later. With a new puppy means socialization. That means the new puppy will get to go to all the cool places I went to with exceptions of Pet Stores and Dog Parks until he/she has her last puppy shots.

So I asked my Mom how do you socialize if you don't do the social things we do. She announces we will be having small friends over and things. Wait the puppy gets parties and I don't?

What is so important about socialization... For one, jumping and humping. That is sort of a big no-no in the Gunner house. Also, being friendly and not afraid of people. Letting the smaller pint size kids touch me or the new kid on the block will make us more lovable.

When a puppy is young that is when you get to teach and expose them to the things they might encounter as older dogs. Taking the food bowl away, taking the favorite toy away, keeping a tight hand on the dominance. With a possibility of having two strong males in the house, Mom will need to be pack leader and that is really important to learn.

Recently I had company and I tried to share my favorite of ALL time bone with her. I pushed it through the fence to her. I think she was afraid of My Mommy because she wouldn't take it, but I was a good boy for trying.

Another HUGE tip if you ever even think about showing your dog, START very young. Put your hands all over them, in their mouths, on their Lincoln and Douglas' when they drop, grab their paws A LOT  and clip their nails very early.

Bathing and nail maintenance is very important and starting it young is key. Short nails are not only more attractive, they also help prevent foot spread and feet issues. The nails if to long can mess up a dog's gait and they tend to have issues. Think of that old lady that wears scuffy slippers and her feet are super wide, yup you get the ugly truth picture.

Just remember the puppy coming in is very new and scared, keep them comfortable and expose them at your comfort level.

No comments:

Post a Comment