Friday, July 19, 2013

Gunner and me...

Several years ago, I saw and fell in love with a bulldog that was in our Dog club, but I just didnt have the time for a puppy that needed that much work. The breeder I knew wasn't very friendly or would never take the time to teach me about Bulldogs.

Fast forward to a year or so ago. My nephew loved bulldogs and wanted one. I began doing research. I knew they were a lot of work but ohhhh so cute. I found one, and put a deposit on it. Turned out to not be a 100% bulldog. BLAH. I was not happy and didn't get my money back. On to the next one, similar, but this time I only lost 100.00... And the nephews fiance' just got a new dog so they werent in the market for another dog.

As I kept looking and watching Ice Loves Coco, I knew I had to have one. I was at home now, no time restraints, and I could spend the rest of my time with a puppy... so I thought.
When I saw Gunner, I knew he was mine. I loved him the moment I saw him. We put a deposit on him, and later that day I was told I couldn't have him at my rental house. I was devastated. I called the breeder who agreed to rip up my deposit. Wow I was heartsick. I never cried like this before. My sister called the breeder and said please don't sell him, my sister will call you in the morning and buy him, we will work it out.

The next morning I called and they asked me if I was sure, I said yes. The day we picked him up I had to leave out of town, so my sister had planned to watch him. When I got home, the plans I had to keep him, went to hell and a hand basket. My nephew said he would take him. I was devastated and just didn't know how I could live without this baby. I would go weekly and see him, take him to the vet for his shots, get his food and then take him back. I felt like a grandparent. I was still going to show him, but he was living with someone else.

Three weeks later, I get a freaked out call from the fiance' saying their apartment complex said they were going to come in and take Gunner because he was not on the lease. Without going through the legalities, I jumped in my car and picked him up. I cried all the way there, I knew we were meant to be a family and I was bringing him home. Rental or no rental. I was in the process of buying my house and I was up against it... but he was coming with me...

I went back to my rental, had a discussion with my landlord, he agreed to let me have Gunner and I agreed to let him live... that simple, Gunner came first.

Our time together has been funny, amazing, sad, scary, frustrating, loving, painful, emotional roller-coaster, happy, cherished and loved... Gunner is my baby, everyone knows it, and he knows it. I find him the most endearing animal that has ever lived. He knows me, my movements, my moods, my tone and my smile. I know the same about him. I live for my Gunner and make my life decisions based on him. He gives me unconditional love and I try to give back to him a smidgen of the love he shows me daily. Never a bad mood, always a kiss for me, and each and every night, we kiss goodnight, if I am not home, we either skype or I call and sing him a goodnight song.

That's our story.. We are a real family... Gunner and I...awwww

No comments:

Post a Comment