Monday, May 14, 2012

Pet Insurance... do you or don't you...

When I bought my bulldog baby, I will admit it was on a whim. I was actually searching for my oldest nephew. I had placed a few deposits on bullys prior for him and it wasn't the best time. This time it could be... but I saw this little boy and fell in love. My background was in Old English Mastiff's and the polar opposites, Shih Tzu's...

So you can imagine my shock with all the health issues I read about. But I didn't care, through all that I read, I loved those crinkled smushed faces more than anything...HOWEVER... with that said, I joined the bulldog boards and quickly read about the expenses and the multiple surgeries, not if they had them, it was when...

So I started comparing Pet Insurance. Boy how confusing and detailed. One covers this and one covers that. If you call your (my) baby an English Bull it was more money, I didn't realize that until after I signed up. If they are microchipped there is a discount, and so on and so on.

What it boils down to is how much are you willing to pay for a copayment and how much do you want to pay a month.

Trupanion was interesting because they kept telling me that they covered acupunture and holistics, while Pet Plan had a set limit of 20,000 per year and deductibles I could live with. I liked both and I spent a lot of time on the telephone with each of them trying to pin point which was better for us. I am not anticipating anything, but I want to be prepared. I love my little man and I want to be able to provide for him forever. I would hate to think I would have to make a decision based on money.

While Gunner is certainly my baby and the star of this world, his well being is my most important job as a Woof Mommy...

After choosing Pet Plan I thought what if I made a mistake, what if there were better plans, cheaper plans, and so on... But their welcoming letter, all the forms needed and the feeling I just bought a little peace of mind was worth it.

Hopefully we will never use it..but if we do need it, it's there...

No comments:

Post a Comment