Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Time is not healing all wounds...

It has been 8 days since Gunner left me. I cannot put into words the void and hurt I feel. My emotions go in waves. I have lost a few friendships for saying "he was just a dog"... The loss is real and painful.

Making arrangements, cancelling insurance, processing invoices, and what to do with the house. I make no bones about this, every room in my house was Gunner.

Before I go on, I will tell you I have Gunner's littermate sister Maggie, she is wonderful and sweet. Probably the perfect bulldog if you must know. She was my sister's, when my sister died I inherited her. They were side by side buddies for the last 5 years.

It is not the same with Maggie. Gunner was a bigger than life presence. Which is funny because I just had someone say that about me as well.

What do I do with the crates strategically arranged in the house? Gunner loved his crates. He liked to nap in his room in his crate often. He slept in a crate at night (his choice). That's just the start of it. He has furniture of his own, beds, photos, toys, clothes, oh my heavens he has clothes. I have decided to make shadow boxes of Gunner. One will have his Charlie Brown sweater which was his absolute favorite sweater to wear. He would pick it out of the drawer when I was getting him dressed when the cold weather came.

We are so blessed with all our friends. Our OG gang has really been amazing. Miss Dixie and Sugar Lump and Dooley family has been a rock for me. Coach and Mac's parents have been a constant support and a willing ear to listen to my crying. Cleo's family has been so sweet and caring about us, and Bubbles Mom has been just a blessing. There are so many others that have touched our hearts. Emmy and Luna Bean's Mom helped guide me with Gunner's originally planned surgery. Star has been so caring. Most of the Original #StudClub have reached out to me, it's been a great feeling knowing how much Gunner meant to all of you.

I have a memorial service planned for Gunner, judge me not, he deserves this. I hope to continue to honor Gunner with our Roscoe's Rascals No Bulldog Left Behind Angel Fund. We donate hundreds of dog food to rescues and make Angel fund donations to help with vet costs.

I want to personally say that if you met Gunner you loved him. He made you love him, he was the light in the day when it all looked bleak.

I have sorted out some of his clothes, I am really undecided what to do with them. I cannot imagine another dog wearing his clothes. We shall see what the future holds. Please do not forget Gunner, he has never forgotten any of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment