Thursday, October 1, 2015

Gunner love - Mommy author

It is no secret how much I love Gunner. Once he was in my life I was smitten to say the least. Truly I believe he was a gift from God, as was Maggie. Gunner has been many things in my life. At times I have to pinch myself and remember he is not of the human kind, but of the Canine flavor. I am sure you have clicked off by now saying "oh boy Gunner Gunner Gunner"...

Gunner is the most sensitive caring dog I have ever had. From the time he was 11 weeks old we watched videos online of other bulldogs. At 12 weeks he started a music appreciation class that we still do today. Night time rituals include Mommy love and story time. When Mommy is not home, she calls and face times him. Please do not call the men in white jackets, they have already certified that I am nutsocoocoo.

From the first group meetup at 16 weeks, Gunner would not hump or bother other dogs. He would play and run but would give each dog their space. When a fight would break out, you would find Gunner in the middle separating the fighters. To say he is dog polite might be odd. Our lives have consisted of mutual love and admiration.

When Maggie came into the house I was very concerned his feelings would be hurt. She is his sister and needed some extra love after losing her Mommy of 3 years. At first they did not get along too well. I was really hard on Gunner, I accepted nothing less than his being polite and loving. I spoke to other bulldog families that had a girl and boy dog, seeking some insight. Fortunately I ignored the comments that would say "they will be fine" Being fine with no intervention is a recipe for disaster. So I knew I had some real work ahead of me. Gunner is a sensitive soul. You never have to punish him for something because he knows what he did. My solution was; I applied some tried and true behavioral methods and within 2 weeks my fears of them not getting along were long gone.

Gunner amazes me daily with his kindness. I wish two legged people were as kind and loving as Gunner.  He always waits for Maggie to start eating first, for her to go through the door first, for her to get treats first, and has really given up so much of Gunner's things to her. With all that kindness I cannot let him be left out. That is why we have double of everything. I do keep certain things just for Gunner.

With all this love and admiration I feel the need to share it. Gunner has the heart I wish I had. He has the ability to listen and forgive. His love of protection and family goes without saying. While he has some personality quirks that make me wonder if I gave birth to him, he means the world to me.

I find that when I am struggling, he is there. I talk to him as a human and he seems to understand what I am saying. When I am tweeting or watching a video, he is right beside me over my shoulder. To say that dogs do not understand, I would strongly disagree. Put Rocco's little sister on a video and Gunner comes out of his room to watch. If he see's Henry and Collins picture he slightly puts his cheek to her. Until the prior Flood, he had all his friends pictures on his wall, he would lay under different ones during the day, as if he were visiting them.

Think I am crazy, that's ok. I am truly blessed with two very special bulldogs that fill my heart with love. In a world of negatives and jealousy, I find complete comfort knowing my two are what's right with this world.

I love you Gunner more than you know, and I love you Maggie with my soul.











No comments:

Post a Comment