Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Vet's and Bulldogs written by Mom


If you are in the Tampa Bay area, specifically South Tampa area (although I would make the drive for Dr. Lewis) I would highly recommend http://davisislandanimalclinic.com/ 

Dr. Lewis listens and exams based on what he thinks, not what is common to bulldogs. Gunner has had a nasty open wound rash on the back of his neck. We went to see the doc about six weeks ago, it was mild and we treated it topically, and never did I suspect anything other in the back of my mind, could this be an allergy starting. Low and behold it came back but worse. Immediately I believed it was an allergy and began to plan the change foods, laundry soaps, treats and everything else.

When we arrived and Dr. Lewis and Super Vet Tech Mandi (Gunner loves loves loves) began to exam him, I casually mentioned he was shaking his head a lot as Dr. Lewis was checking Gunner's ears. Mandi was holding Gunner the whole time, as they were doing a snout to stubby tail exam.

Being the nervous Mommy that I am, I was outlining my plan to change his foods, treats, bedding, all in the preparations of "allergies"... Dr. Lewis said to me very gently, before we just assume it's the Bulldog prone to allergy, let me look at these ears. B I N G O.  The culprit was the ears. It would have been very easy to sway me to the "allergy" syndrome and just try and cope with the changes. However, as always, Dr. Lewis treated the issue and not the "standard bulldog hype."

Often I am asked who is my Vet. Through the years of many dogs, turtles, cows, horses, pigs, rabbits, guinea pigs, I have had the distinct pleasure of having the best of the best treat my animals. That's not to say there haven't been a few opps. But for the most part, my family began using a vet in Clearwater in 1968, I stayed with him through two retirements. I used the same horse vet for 30 years. I am loyal when deserved. The three I list below I would say are the best of the best in the area. I am more partial to these three because they are listeners and not reactors. They treat, not practice.  Dr. Lewis originally was going to be my go-to-vet for times I couldn't get in to see Dr. Marks or Dr. B. He is much closer to my house, has great hours and I liked him. He was with Dr. Marks as a partner prior to opening this Clinic. Gunner and I have decided that Dr. Lewis is our full-time Vet, with the exception of having Dr. B and Dr. Marks as needed when Dr. Lewis isn't available.

I would encourage my Tampa Bay Area bulldog friends to check him out. While we love Dr. B (Highland in Lakeland) and beloved Dr. Marks (Turkey Creek), we feel we are A-Ok with Dr. Lewis.


Everyday normal issues do not require the expert. With that said, just your corner Vet is often not the one to use. Reason being; they tend to go with the idea all bulldogs have standard issues, and treat based on book references, not what the actual bulldog is presenting (symptom).

He makes Gunner feel welcome and he treats us well. Their office hours are great for the working person, they are just down the street from the Davis Island Dog Park and they truly are a great Animal Clinic. I am planning on taking our newest member the Turtle there.

I could go on an on about this team of Dr. Lewis and Mandi, I will just say this, go one time and you will be happy you did. Gunner never wants to leave the office.

**This is not a paid or requested endorsement, Dr. Lewis has no idea we are posting about him, we received nothing from our posting** 

No comments:

Post a Comment